Subject: RE: [BUG] PREFIX environment variable ignored by git config --system

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2025 19:07:38 -0500

On January 29, 2025 6:54 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
><[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Those of us who have written documentation for much of our lives,
>> really miss accuracy. There are companies where a wrong bit of
>> documentation is considered as high severity defect. Regardless of that...
>
>The association with that "book" and those who hang around here is that we could
>contribute corrections to them, as they are open source and we are friends, but
>that is about it ;-).
>
>I am reasonably sure that they will appreciate a well researched pull request (and
>"well reserached" does not mean "somebody says this is incorrect" but needs a bit
>more than that).

Well, we are all friends here 😉 

Be that as it may, the following seems to work:

$ GIT_CONFIG_SYSTEM=/home/randall/etc/gitconfig git config --system --list
fatal: unable to read config file '/home/randall/etc/gitconfig': No such file or directory

This appears to do exactly what I am looking for. When I create that file, git picks
up config values from that file.The question is, is this environment variable actually
sanctioned or is it just coincidence? It does exactly what I am looking for.