Subject: RE: git: CVE-2018-1000021: client prints server sent ANSI escape codes to the terminal, allowing for unverified messages to potentially execute arbitrary commands

From: "Randall S. Becker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 12:15:00 -0500

On February 7, 2018 11:53 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Feb 06 2018, "Randall S. Becker" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > What I don't know - and it's not explicitly in the CVE - is just how
> > many other terminal types with similar vulnerabilities are out there,
> > but I'm suspecting it's larger than one would guess - mostly, it seems
> > like this particular sequence is intended to be used for writing
> > status line output (line 25?) instead of sticking it in a prompt. This
> > can be used prettifies a lengthy bash prompt to display the current
> > branch and repository at the bottom of the screen instead of in the
> > inline prompt, but that's the user's choice and not something git has
> > to deal with. There were some green-screen terminals with other weird
> > ESC sequences back in the day that could really get into trouble with
> > this, including loading/executing programs in terminal memory via
> > output - really. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time, but I
can see
> how it could have been used for evil.
> 
> Do you also want to block "+++AT"?  :-)

Oh dear. Oh dear. You *do* know that actually could be bad. I wonder how
many git users are still using dial-up to clone/push. Of course, they would
probably not even see this message after trying to download it.

Chuckles,
Randall

-- Brief whoami:
 NonStop developer since approximately 211288444200000000
 UNIX developer since approximately 421664400
-- In my real life, I talk too much.