Subject: RE: [PATCH] test-genzeros: avoid raw write(2)

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 11:14:55 -0500

On Thursday, February 16, 2023 11:10 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>>     I ended up avoiding write_or_die() primarily because there is
>>>     nothing "Git" about this helper, which is a poor-man's emulation
>>>     of "dd if=/dev/zero".  It felt a bit too much to pull cache.h in
>>>     as dependency for it.
>>
>> I don't find it any more "Git" than xwrite() or die_errno(), really,
>> but I am quite happy with what you have here.
>
>True.  I view "git-compat-util.h" as "projects, not limited to Git, would
benefit by its
>help to use POSIX api more sensibly", while "cache.h" is "things that are
about Git".
>write_or_die() is certainly in the former category, but is not available
without
>"cache.h" X-<.

I remember by first time in there, and thought why can't we use gnulib or
libc and then realized that those dependencies don't port well either (no
gcc on box). I am grateful for the existence of git-compat-util.