Subject: [Question] Signature calculation ignoring parts of binary files

From: "Randall S. Becker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 15:16:07 -0400

I feel really bad asking this, and I should know the answer, and yet.

I have a binary file that needs to go into a repo intact (unchanged). I also
have a program that interprets the contents, like a textconv, that can
output the relevant portions of the file in whatever format I like - used
for diff typically, dumps in 1K chunks by file section. What I'm looking for
is to have the SHA1 signature calculated with just the relevant portions of
the file so that two actually different files will be considered the same by
git during a commit or status. In real terms, I'm trying to ignore the
Creator metadata of a JPG because it is mutable and irrelevant to my repo
contents.

I'm sorry to ask, but I thought this was in .gitattributes but I can't
confirm the SHA1 behaviour.

Sheepishly,
Randall

-- Brief whoami:
 NonStop developer since approximately 211288444200000000
 UNIX developer since approximately 421664400
-- In my real life, I talk too much.