Subject: RE: Problems with CSPRNG in wrapper.c

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 18:23:36 -0500

On Monday, February 27, 2023 6:15 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
><[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> First, I was not aware that csprng was a git dependency ...
>
>You can choose from implementations that depend on common external
libraries
>and system functions, but we have a fallback internal implementation that
only
>requires /dev/urandom.
>
>See description for CSPRNG_METHOD in Makefile and 05cd988d (wrapper:
>add a helper to generate numbers from a CSPRNG, 2022-01-17) for additional
>background.

I have already been down that path, but not successfully. /dev/urandom is
not available on the platform - never has, never will to my knowledge. This
does appear to work if PRNGD is correctly running, but I can't seem to get
that to work on this site. The config.mak.uname for NonStop does specify:

CSPRNG_METHOD = openssl

which should use OPENSSL_random(), shouldn't it? OpenSSL 3.0 uses the
_rdrand() builtin so should ever go to PRNGD, but it seems like this is
anyway. Debugging isn't possible as this is not on my own systems - and
things work here. Is there any kind of tracing I can do?