Subject: RE: [Bug] git-log prints wrong unixtime with --date=format:%s

From: "Randall S. Becker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 12:44:43 -0400

On May 18, 2016 12:22 PM Jeff King wrote:
> > I tried a few obvious things, but couldn't make anything work. Setting
> > "timezone" manually seems to do nothing. It's supposed to be set by
> > putting the right thing in $TZ and then calling tzset(). So I tried
> > munging $TZ to something like "+0200". It did have _some_ effect, but
> > I
> 
> Wouldn't that be more like "UTC+0200"?
> 
> In any case, I do not think anybody wants to do tzset() on each and every
> commit while running "git log".  Can we declare "format:<strftime>"
> will always use the local timezone, or something?

Off the wall: Dealing in a dispersed team sharing a server that has a
timezone local for only two of the members, git log messes with me also from
a TZ POV. I would like to suggest a more general solution, like configuring
my own TZ in ~/.gitconfig which would potentially allow an override on the
command line. Would user.timezone be helpful in this situation and if set,
call setenv("TZ=...")? It's not an issue when I'm local, but if I touch a
clone on the server, even I get confused around DST changes in October ;).

Cheers,
Randall

-- Brief whoami: NonStop&UNIX developer since approximately
UNIX(421664400)/NonStop(211288444200000000)
-- In my real life, I talk too much.