Subject: RE: Feature request: git cp

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2025 19:10:38 -0500

On November 20, 2025 6:08 PM, Lucas Seiki wrote:
>> and would like the history to track the relevant lines in each file,
>> like "git mv" does,
>
>As a consequence of Git being based on snapshots instead of deltas (see
[1]), `git
>mv` actually doesn't keep track of renames. You can think of `git mv` as
`git rm`ing
>the file with the old name + `git add`ing the same file with the the new
name.
>
>As Kristoffer said, the renames are detected by tools like `git log`, `git
diff` or `git
>status` based on similarity between files, which are considered a rename if
they are
>similar enough. That similarity can even be tuned by using the flag
--find-renames,
>available in those three commands.
>
>
>[1] https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-What-is-Git%3F

I know this might sound trite or wrong but... does this mean that git log
can actually detect SHA-1 collisions based on similarity checks of file
contents?