Subject: [Suggestion] Handling Rust in upcoming releases

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2025 14:04:26 -0400

Hi All,

I would like to propose a mechanism where some platforms can keep using git
even where Rust is not available.

Basically, make Rust a dependency for commands that need Rust but for those
that are still in C, do not require rust. This will mean that git can keep
being
available, but new development can be done in Rust. It also means that
CVE patches, if they come, can be done without leaving non-Rust platforms
hanging out in the cold. It does mean that some commands will not be
available on some platforms. This has been a well-established position
by git for many years for other non-portable dependencies, like p4,
subversion, and send-mail.

Please consider this as a compatibility suggestion. It will give platforms
who have plans to implement Rust (eventually), time to react, as Rust
is a non-trivial port without gcc being available also.

Sincerely,
Randall

--
Brief whoami: NonStop&UNIX developer since approximately
UNIX(421664400)
NonStop(211288444200000000)
-- In real life, I talk too much.