Subject: RE: git shortlog --committer vs --committer=<pattern>

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2026 10:49:32 -0500

On January 13, 2026 10:23 AM, Manuel Rego Casasnovas wrote:
>Doing something like this in a Git repository returns an error (git version 2.51.0):
>$ git shortlog --committer=foo
>error: option `committer' takes no value
>
>However the option "--committer=<pattern>" is in the documentation:
>https://git-scm.com/docs/git-shortlog#Documentation/git-shortlog.txt---
>committerpattern
>
>But it seems to be in conflict with "--committer":
>https://git-scm.com/docs/git-shortlog#Documentation/git-shortlog.txt---
>committer
>
>It would be nice to either allow using "--committer=<pattern>" for shortlog, or if
>that's not possible fix the documentation.

I do not see --committer=<pattern>, but do see --committer pattern in the online
help and documentation. --committer is an alias for --group=committer.
Pattern applies to the log entries.