Subject: hello git world!

From: "Philippe Ombredanne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 01:01:41 -0700

Hello:
I am a committer on Eclipse and several Eclipse-related projects, as
well as the admin (and a mentor too) for the Eclipse summer of code
program.
My day job is about the same: Eclipse and tools for paying customers :-)
I met Shawn Pearce and  Johannes Schindelin this week-end at Google for
the Summer of Code mentor summit.
Incidentally a week before I had tried git for the 1st time, out of need
trying to build an eclipse plugin available only through git
(http://robrohan.com/projects/afae/ )
After a few minutes I was checking out and building more git stuffs
including egit of course.

I basically fell in love with Git, just like that. I am frightened --
like when you fall in love-- about the power and implications of a
distributed version control system :-P

Being an Eclipse and tools guy, I'll try to help on the egit and java
git side (for non eclipse based java tools) . I have played a little
experience with team support in Eclipse, and high expectations for egit
from using things such as the CVS, Subclipse and Subversive plugins for
Eclipse.

One of the ideas Shawn and I floated was that we could work towards
making egit an official Eclipse project. 
Being somewhat plugged at Eclipse, I can help broker that, if it makes
sense for the git community.
I look forward to the discussion there.

I think this would go a long way to attract more committers on egit, and
make git a very accessible tool to millions of Eclipse users.
I will also make egit installers available through the easyeclipse
distro I maintain.

Git rulez!
-- 
Cheers
Philippe

http://easyeclipse.org - http://phpeclipse.net - http://eclipse.org/atf
- 
http://eclipse.org/vep - http://labs.jboss.org/drools/ -
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XULRunner
philippe ombredanne | 1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne at nexb.com 
nexB - Open by Design (tm) - http://www.nexb.com