Subject: [Question] etc/gitconfig and .gitconfig missing errors

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2025 10:07:57 -0500

Hi All,

Question from my community. The standard git install does not automatically
create
the /usr/local/etc directory if it does not exist, so the git config
--system fails.
If etc/gitconfig is missing, the command also fails. Similarly, if
~/.gitconfig is missing,
git config -global fails.

Is this intended? I have been telling my people that they should pre-create
those files
with appropriate security. I have mused that having git auto-create this
file may
introduce potential CVEs, explaining the situation. Is this assumption
correct?

Thanks,
Randall

--
Brief whoami: NonStop&UNIX developer since approximately
UNIX(421664400)
NonStop(211288444200000000)
-- In real life, I talk too much.