Subject: RE: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.41.0-rc2

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 13:48:52 -0400

On Thursday, May 25, 2023 1:40 PM, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>[email-masked] wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 25, 2023 12:39 PM, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>>> I don't used the option, as the systems I build for have tcl/tk, but
>>> I don't see where setting that would have an effect on .po files
>>> (apart from those in git-gui or gitk-git, of course).
>>
>> Those two are where the .po are unprocessed.
>
>I guess I don't understand the issue then.  If you don't have tcl/tk, then
what's the
>problem with not having the po files processed for these apps you cannot
run?
>
>What errors does this cause?  I'm not really an expert in this area, but I
imagine a
>more concrete explanation of the problem might be helpful.

What I'm concerned about is what other users of the builds are depending on.
If I change a setting in config.mak.uname to just remove a message that has
no otherwise impact, I am fine with doing that. Adding NO_TCLTK has a
broader impact on the overall build, so I am hesitant to put my name on a
contribution (trivial regardless) for such a change without understanding
why there is a non-trivial impact. My thought as this point, as a packager,
is that I should live with the situation.