Subject: RE: Let's have a user experience workshop

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 12:22:33 -0400

On May 20, 2022 12:18 PM, Alice Merrick wrote:
>>"3. Testing ideas
>> with users" I would find it worrisome if getting user input would
>>require reviews on a given patch stalling out until the next monthly
>>meeting.  (Reviews are already slower than they should be as it is!)  I
>>don't know that that's what you meant to suggest; I'm just aiming to
>>understand what you mean about the "all 4" above.
>
>I agree, you wouldn't want to wait until something is in review to get user
>feedback or testing. I think a Lean UX
>(https://www.scaledagileframework.com/lean-ux/) approach would be more
>appropriate especially when there is no designated UX person. You might need to
>lean more heavily on design standards and instrumentation for feedback, but
>sessions with users would still be important for developing standards and could be
>used as needed if it's not possible to do them on a regular basis.
>
>> > > I'd envision it as something between a working group and a book
>> > > club - we could learn different aspects of UX design and research,
>> > > and apply them in various ways.
>
>I like this idea. A working group could work on developing design standards and
>work out what to measure and how to measure it.

I would imagine that some patch series do not directly impact UX while others do. Figuring out which are what might be a starting point. In some places, an API change would be UX - if the users are developers. Just a thought.
--Randall