Subject: Advise request on adding a new SSH variant

From: "Randall S. Becker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 11:08:21 -0400

Hi Team,

I am getting a bunch of requests from my team (and customers) to make SSH
configuration easier on the NonStop platform. We are currently using a
wrapper script to drive the variant of SSH on the platform but that is not
convenient for many people. I would like to add an ssh.Variant called
"nonstopssh", or something like that, which takes a few extra parameters.
-Q (quiet), -Z (don't display the banner), -p port (obvious but typically
required), -S (a system process name). The code in connect.c looks pretty
straight forward, but I'm wondering about the best way to pass in a process
name (it would be something like "$ZSSHX" - usually an environment variable
"SSH2_PROCESS_NAME"). The program name for SSH, I assume, could come from
GIT_SSH_COMMAND (typically "/G/system/zssh/sshoss", or I could force it if
not supplied). I'm also wondering about controls for the -Q and -Z
parameters. Should I just use the environment for this and build up args or
is there a more appropriate way of managing these values?

Thanks in advance,
Randall

-- Brief whoami:
NonStop developer since approximately 211288444200000000
UNIX developer since approximately 421664400
-- In my real life, I talk too much.