Subject: RE: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.48.1 and friends

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 21:05:25 -0500

On January 14, 2025 8:28 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
><[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I will not be able to package this. The reason is that only official
>> commits are permitted in the highly regulated customer base that I
>> have to support.
>
>Well, you probably want to be a bit more careful.
>
>Think what *exactly* is *this* in "package this" in your message, for
example.
>
>Will it be the resulting checkout of "git clone --single" of that tag?
Then you can go
>there and say "make", and as Dscho explained, what Dscho wrote in DEF_VER
does
>not matter.  The tag that points at that checked out commit is v2.47.2 and
that is
>what resulting "git version" would say.
>
>Will it be the tarball extract from the git-2.47.2.tar.gz that is available
at
>https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/?  Then you can go there and
say
>"make", and what Dscho wrote in DEF_VER does not matter, either, because
the
>official tarball contains the 'version' file that says "2.47.2" and that is
the version
>used by the resulting "git version".

In order to accept our builds, the NonStop community needs to be able to
correlate what we build to a real commit from the git git repository. We
cannot
build from tarballs, as this cannot be certified by the community users.  If
they
cannot certify what I am building for them, they will not use it. It is that
simple,
sadly. That is why we worked so hard to have our builds 100% consistent with
the official git commits. Tarballs can be hacked. Now, if members of the
community wanted to do that, I would be elated at the prospect, and it would
save me hundreds of hours a year, but they are not willing (or able) to do
that. My key role is as a trusted build manager for the platform. I cannot
package a modified set of files, so I must skip this element of the friends
of
2.48.1, and ask them to go directly to that version instead of 2.47.2.

I ask you sincerely to please understand the constraints I am under.