Subject: RE: When should we release Git 3.0?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2025 15:31:54 -0400

On October 1, 2025 12:05 PM, Taylor Blau wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 01, 2025 at 08:13:12AM +0100, Luca Milanesio wrote:
>> I am worried that if we rush into Git 3.0 with breaking changes that
>> would make other “forges” (e.g. JGit) incompatible, we would be in a
>> difficult situation with the other Git ecosystem that isn’t based on
>> the C-Git implementation.
>
>That's a good point. I am not familiar enough with JGit (or really any non-standard
>Git implementations) to know where SHA-256 support is in those respective
>implementations.

AFAIK, JGit still depends on some core git functions, including gc. It also depends on
LFS for those functions. Interop it fairly important in that space.

>But regardless of whether we're talking about a forge that is based on git.git or
>some other implementation, there is very likely lots of other work to be done to
>support SHA-256 outside of flipping the hash function within Git.
>
>(I'm thinking here about database migrations for columns that may store 40-
>character SHA-1 hashes, for example, which can take a potentially significant
>amount of time to migrate depending on the size of the database, etc.)
>
>So my feeling here is that we should take into account not just the readiness of the
>underlying Git implementation used by hosting providers in the Git ecosystem, but
>also the readiness of the hosting providers themselves to do the work necessary to
>facilitate that transition outside of their Git implementation.

Regards,
Randall