Subject: RE: [TOPIC 01/11] Rust

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2024 12:20:42 -0400

On September 20, 2024 10:18 AM, Taylor Blau wrote:
>* Kyle: Rust code in the Git project; do we want it? Why would we want
>  it?
>* Elijah: Anybody other than Randall that objects to it?

To be honest, I do not fundamentally object to Rust. My problem is that the
Rust team is not supporting including NonStop as a platform. I would love
to be able to do the port, but it is not up to me - it is up to Rust's permission
(or lack of in this case) to support NonStop, and I do not see this changing
in my life-time. Depending on a piece of technology where control of where
it runs is outside of git's control is not responsible, in my view. It restricts
where git can run, and excludes platforms that currently use a critical piece
of infrastructure (git). I have tens of thousands of people in my community
who depend on git on a daily basis, and simply kicking them off because
of a decision, or lack of decision, that some unrelated dependency controls
should be (unfortunately does not appear to be for git) a showstopper.

I am just the vocal one who is paying attention to the issue.

Sincerely,
Randall