Subject: Re: [GSOC RFC PATCH] builtin/repo: add path.in-worktree field

From: Lucas Seiki Oshiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2026 16:37:05 -0300

> Hi everyone,

Hi!

> In this patch I am trying to provide the equivalent functionality of
> 'git rev-parse --is-inside-work-tree'

I'm not sure if it should be in git-repo-info. I mean, this information
is more related to the current directory than the repository itself.

> I found that I could either use the 'is_inside_work_tree' inside setup.h
> which does not take anything , or use the 'is_inside_dir' from dir.h
> and use the worktree directory in the repo variable that the function
> is getting. 
> I went with the latter because the former was using 'the_repository'
> inside.

Makes sense, but this way you're re-writing `is_inside_work_tree`
inside `get_path_in_worktree` but without using the is_inside_work_tree
variable. I don't know what's the cost of doing this.

Something that I would question here if isn't it possible to make
is_inside_work_tree accept a repository as parameter and then use it
here.

> Although I am not sure if 'path.in-worktree' is the best name for it.

I think 'path.is-in-worktree' would be better.

> Also, I did run t1900-repo.sh and it was failing one test case,
> which also ran with an ok when I added the new field to REPO_INFO_KEYS.
> 
> [1] : https://git.github.io/SoC-2026-Ideas/

Everything above is not meant to be a commit message. This way, it
should be placed after the scissors mark (---) or in a cover letter.

> +static int get_path_in_worktree(struct repository *repo, struct strbuf *buf)
> +{
> + strbuf_addstr(buf, is_inside_dir(repo->worktree) ? "true" : "false");
> + return 0;
> +}
> +
> /* repo_info_fields keys must be in lexicographical order */
> static const struct field repo_info_fields[] = {
> { "layout.bare", get_layout_bare },
> { "layout.shallow", get_layout_shallow },
> { "object.format", get_object_format },
> + { "path.in-worktree", get_path_in_worktree },
> { "references.format", get_references_format },
> };

Ok, the process of adding a new field to repo-info is correct.

> diff --git a/t/t1900-repo.sh b/t/t1900-repo.sh
> index 51d55f11a5..d793d1b8e2 100755
> --- a/t/t1900-repo.sh
> +++ b/t/t1900-repo.sh
> @@ -10,6 +10,7 @@ REPO_INFO_KEYS='
> layout.bare
> layout.shallow
> object.format
> + path.in-worktree
> references.format
> '

Test missing here.

Thanks for your interest in contributing to git-repo-info!