Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] rebase --update-refs: smooth out some rough edges

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:29:58 -0400

On 9/30/2022 10:09 AM, SZEDER Gábor wrote:
> A couple of cleanups and fixes to a new 'git rebase --update-refs' feature
> introduced in the current release cycle.

Thank you for examining the feature closely. I think most of these
are clearly improvements.

I'm less sold on patch 4 which removes whitespace a bit too
aggressively. I agree that the situation with multiple refs pointing
to the same commit is somewhat wasteful, but I also think it is
important to use whitespace to highlight the different groups of
commits. It provides a nice break for the reader to quickly find the
commit they are looking for within each group. I'm not sure how to
add a whitespace break only at the transition point between the
update-refs commands and other commands, but it would be nice to have.

Otherwise, everything looks good.

Junio: I don't think any of this needs to rush into v2.38.0, since
they are mostly cosmetic changes and helping users get out of bad
situations.

Thanks,
-Stolee