Subject: RE: [DISCUSS] validation on git config user.email

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2025 11:00:25 -0400

On September 12, 2025 12:13 AM, usharerose wrote:
>I'm a Git user and curious about a specific aspect of Git's design regarding the
>'user.email' configuration.
>
>Git allows any kind of values without restriction when setting 'user.email' via 'git
>config' (e.g., `git config user.email "not-a-valid-email-address"`).
>
>I'm interested in understanding the design philosophy or historical reasons behind
>this 'lack' of validation.
>
>I've glanced through the documentations, archived emails, or forum topics, but
>couldn't find a definitive or official statement.
>
>Thanks for your time and insights.

Some customers integrate single sign-on (SSO) via the user.email value. In the case
of one customer I helped, the value is an SSO token used by GitHub for their
integration. The token value does not conform to any valid email address format.
Adding an email validation will lock them out of using git.

--Randall