Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] Compute and consume generation numbers

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 21:06:24 -0400

On 4/7/2018 12:55 PM, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> Currently I am at the stage of reproducing results in FELINE paper:
> "Reachability Queries in Very Large Graphs: A Fast Refined Online Search
> Approach" by Renê R. Veloso, Loïc Cerf, Wagner Meira Jr and Mohammed
> J. Zaki (2014).  This paper is available in the PDF form at
> https://openproceedings.org/EDBT/2014/paper_166.pdf
>
> The Jupyter Notebook (which runs on Google cloud, but can be also run
> locally) uses Python kernel, NetworkX librabry for graph manipulation,
> and matplotlib (via NetworkX) for display.
>
> Available at:
> https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1V-U7_slu5Z3s5iEEMFKhLXtaxSu5xyzg
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V-U7_slu5Z3s5iEEMFKhLXtaxSu5xyzg/view?usp=sharing
>
> I hope that could be of help, or at least interesting

Let me know when you can give numbers (either raw performance or # of 
commits walked) for real-world Git commit graphs. The Linux repo is a 
good example to use for benchmarking, but I also use the Kotlin repo 
sometimes as it has over a million objects and over 250K commits.

Of course, the only important statistic at the end of the day is the 
end-to-end time of a 'git ...' command. Your investigations should 
inform whether it is worth prototyping the feature in the git codebase.

Thanks,

-Stolee