Subject: Re: [QUESTION] how to find options set by scalar?

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2025 11:38:50 -0400

On 9/18/2025 4:29 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Matthew Hughes <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> I was also looking through the list of config options (within
>> `set_recommended_config`) and thought it might also be useful to comment why
>> each those settings are recommended in the context of working within a large
>> repository.
> 
> That would be ultra useful.

I think all of these ideas are good ones. Adding the comment as Patrick
described is good, for sure.

Instead of commenting the _reason_ in code or in the config, it would be
good to list the reasons for each recommended config in the Scalar docs
so they would be visible in web docs [1] for easy discovery.

[1] https://git-scm.com/docs/scalar

It seems like Patrick is already 80% of the way to a patch for the
comment in the config. I'll see if I can carve out some time next week
for the commentary on the config options in the Documentation.

Thanks,
-Stolee