Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/3] contrib/subtree: reduce recursion during split

From: Colin Stagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2026 20:37:16 -0500

On 6/1/26 17:13, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> I am tempted to mark the topic as stalled, to be discarded for
> inaction

No objection. I'd still like to see this reviewed, but we can revisit 
this later if interest develops.

> While I do agree that avoiding bash-isms in the main part of Git and
> sticking to vanilla POSIX has merit, this particular one seems more
> like an artificial limit imposed by dash than sticking to the POSIX
> as the common denoninator, at least to me.

Correct, this topic is a workaround for an artificial limit. The limit 
is Debian-specific and was introduced as a downstream patch in 2018 [1], 
[2].

This git-subtree issue has been reported before in

   <[email-masked]>,

   <[email-masked]>,

and probably other places. These are old reports, and I haven't found 
anyone there still interested in a fix.

Colin

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=579815

[2]: 
https://sources.debian.org/patches/dash/0.5.12-12/0009-dash-Fix-stack-overflow-from-infinite-recursion-in-s.patch/