Subject: git-last-modified on bare repository

From: Gusted <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2026 14:35:56 +0100

Hi,

Now trying to actually make Forgejo use git last-modified after being 
pointed to the non-yet-documented options but I quickly noticed that it 
looks like it does not work as intended on bare repositories when 
looking specifying files.

$ git clone https://codeberg.org/Gusted/math-accuracy
$ cd math-accuracy
$ git last-modified -- LICENSES
768f05837e7db2832425bc3b65d0f524e81b2769        LICENSES

And on a bare repository:

$ git clone --bare https://codeberg.org/Gusted/math-accuracy
$ cd math-accuracy.git
$ git last-modified -- LICENSE
fatal: ambiguous argument 'LICENSE': unknown revision or path not in the 
working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions, like this:
'git <command> [<revision>...] -- [<file>...]'

Is a worktree required for this to work?

Because it was talking about revision, I quickly checked a refspec as 
input and it looks like I found another way to trigger a BUG.

$ git last-modified -- HEAD:LICENSES
BUG: builtin/last-modified.c:456: paths remaining beyond boundary in 
last-modified
[1]    202076 IOT instruction (core dumped)  git last-modified -- 
HEAD:LICENSES

On the bare and non-bare repository.

Kind Regards
Gusted