Subject: [PATCH v3 1/6] ci: bump microsoft/setup-msbuild from v2 to v3

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2026 07:34:55 +0000

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>

The v2 of `microsoft/setup-msbuild` runs on Node.js 20, which GitHub
is phasing out of the Actions runners. v3 is a minimal release whose
only substantive change is moving the action's runtime to Node.js 24,
so that our Visual Studio build jobs keep working once Node.js 20 is
removed from the runners.

The risk of this bump is very low: v3 contains no functional changes
to the action itself -- it merely adds `msbuild.exe` to `PATH`, with
no change to command-line flags, inputs, outputs, or default tool
resolution. The only precondition is a recent-enough Actions Runner,
which the github.com-hosted runners already satisfy.

See also:

- Release notes: https://github.com/microsoft/setup-msbuild/releases
- Compare: https://github.com/microsoft/setup-msbuild/compare/v2...v3

Originally-authored-by: dependabot[bot] <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
---
 .github/workflows/main.yml | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/.github/workflows/main.yml b/.github/workflows/main.yml
index 6f3d94e3a6..0d3e0e42a4 100644
--- a/.github/workflows/main.yml
+++ b/.github/workflows/main.yml
@@ -186,7 +186,7 @@ jobs:
         repository: git/git
         definitionId: 9
     - name: add msbuild to PATH
-      uses: microsoft/setup-msbuild@v2
+      uses: microsoft/setup-msbuild@v3
     - name: copy dlls to root
       shell: cmd
       run: compat\vcbuild\vcpkg_copy_dlls.bat release
-- 
gitgitgadget