Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Oct 2020, #02; Fri, 9)

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 12:31:37 -0400

On 10/9/2020 12:28 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> As for discarding them all: we would need to add code to "reparse"
>> a commit from the object database. Perhaps that is doable, but we
>> have so far not removed data from a parsed 'struct commit'. This
>> is probably the easiest way forward to guarantee correct data here.
> 
> Oh, no, by "discarding" I just meant to blow away suspect on-disk
> files and recompute them from scratch.  I didn't have anything
> clever like correcting in-core data structure by parsing the commits
> and updating.

Naturally, I'm over-thinking this. Your "throw away the current
stack" idea has merit and I'll take a look at how that could be
accomplished. It certainly would be non-trivial to communicate
at the current layer, but there might be a clever way to do this.

>> Again, let's find a way to test this before committing.
> 
> Yes, that is sensible.  After all this is not a recent regression.

Thanks,
-Stolee