Subject: [PATCH 2/3] path-walk: fix setup of pending objects

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2025 18:39:55 +0000

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>

The previous change established a buggy instance of 'git repack -adf
--path-walk' when there exist paths that are tracked in the index and
that is the only instance of those paths in the history of the
repository. This change fixes that bug.

The core problem here is that the "maybe_interesting" member of 'struct
type_and_oid_list' is not initialized to '1'. This member was added in
6333e7ae0b (path-walk: mark trees and blobs as UNINTERESTING,
2024-12-20) in a way to help when creating packfiles for a small commit
range using the sparse path algorithm (enabled by pack.useSparse=true).

The idea here is that the list is marked as "maybe_interesting" if an
object is added that does not have the UNINITERSTING flag on it. Later,
this is checked again in case all objects in the list were marked
UNINTERESTING after that point in time. In this case, the algorithm
skips the list as there is no reason to visit it.

This leads to the problem where the "maybe_interesting" member was not
appropriately initialized when the list is created from pending objects.
This is the fix for now.

To help avoid this from happening in the future, a follow-up change will
make initializing lists use a shared method instead of allowing for an
update to this initialization process to miss some existing copies.

Signed-off-by: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
---
 path-walk.c       | 2 ++
 t/t7700-repack.sh | 2 +-
 2 files changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/path-walk.c b/path-walk.c
index 2d4ddbadd50f..1215ed398f4f 100644
--- a/path-walk.c
+++ b/path-walk.c
@@ -385,6 +385,7 @@ static int setup_pending_objects(struct path_walk_info *info,
 					list->type = OBJ_TREE;
 					strmap_put(&ctx->paths_to_lists, path, list);
 				}
+				list->maybe_interesting = 1;
 				oid_array_append(&list->oids, &obj->oid);
 				free(path);
 			} else {
@@ -404,6 +405,7 @@ static int setup_pending_objects(struct path_walk_info *info,
 					list->type = OBJ_BLOB;
 					strmap_put(&ctx->paths_to_lists, path, list);
 				}
+				list->maybe_interesting = 1;
 				oid_array_append(&list->oids, &obj->oid);
 			} else {
 				/* assume a root tree, such as a lightweight tag. */
diff --git a/t/t7700-repack.sh b/t/t7700-repack.sh
index 1998d9bf291c..030e9e5b2dc7 100755
--- a/t/t7700-repack.sh
+++ b/t/t7700-repack.sh
@@ -838,7 +838,7 @@ test_expect_success '-n overrides repack.updateServerInfo=true' '
 	test_server_info_missing
 '
 
-test_expect_failure 'pending objects are repacked appropriately' '
+test_expect_success 'pending objects are repacked appropriately' '
 	git init pending &&
 
 	(
-- 
gitgitgadget