Subject: [PATCH 1/3] t1509: fix failing "root work tree" test due to owner-check

From: "Eric Sunshine via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 03:00:19 +0000

From: Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]>

When 8959555cee (setup_git_directory(): add an owner check for the
top-level directory, 2022-03-02) tightened security surrounding
directory ownership, it neglected to adjust t1509-root-work-tree.sh to
take the new restriction into account. As a result, since the root
directory `/` is typically not owned by the user running the test
(indeed, t1509 refuses to run as `root`), the ownership check added
by 8959555cee kicks in and causes the test to fail:

    fatal: detected dubious ownership in repository at '/'
    To add an exception for this directory, call:

        git config --global --add safe.directory /

This problem went unnoticed for so long because t1509 is rarely run
since it requires setting up a `chroot` environment or a sacrificial
virtual machine in which `/` can be made writable and polluted by any
user.

Signed-off-by: Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]>
---
 t/t1509-root-work-tree.sh | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/t/t1509-root-work-tree.sh b/t/t1509-root-work-tree.sh
index 553a3f601ba..eb57fe7e19f 100755
--- a/t/t1509-root-work-tree.sh
+++ b/t/t1509-root-work-tree.sh
@@ -221,7 +221,8 @@ test_expect_success 'setup' '
 	rm -rf /.git &&
 	echo "Initialized empty Git repository in /.git/" > expected &&
 	git init > result &&
-	test_cmp expected result
+	test_cmp expected result &&
+	git config --global --add safe.directory /
 '
 
 test_vars 'auto gitdir, root' ".git" "/" ""
-- 
gitgitgadget