Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/4] Changed path filter hash fix and version bump

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:53:12 -0400

On 6/21/2023 8:19 AM, Taylor Blau wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 09:43:46AM -0400, Derrick Stolee wrote:

>>  commitGraph.changedPathsVersion: Which version should we _write_
>>  when writing a new commit-graph? Defaults to '1' but will default
>>  to '2' in the next major verion, then '1' will no longer be an
>>  accepted value in the version after that.
> 
> I am not sure if there's a situation where we'd ever want to not write
> the newer versions when starting a new commit-graph (or chain) from
> scratch.

I'd rather have the choice to start writing the new filter mode be
made by config rather than a change to the Git binary. Makes for a
more gradual rollout to be sure there aren't issues with the new
version.

So please keep the configuration value, but have it indicate the
mode used when writing filters.

Thanks,
-Stolee