Subject: Re: Rename offensive terminology (master)

From: Sérgio Augusto Vianna <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 09:07:22 -0300

Ok, first of all, "making a better world". Get off your high horse, ok? 
This is a version control system, an engineering tool. This change is 
100% meaningless and will bring literally zero impact to the world 
except the disruption in people's workflow. Second, this is a GLOBAL 
community. It does NOT revolve around americans is it NOT used 
exclusively used by americans. Let's assume just because a handful of 
people (by the way, only 8% of americans are progressive 
https://hiddentribes.us/profiles/) feels in a certain, does that means 
we should make changes like this because of any other people? Indians 
find it offensive that people eat cows. Muslims find it offensive that 
homosexuals are alive. French find it offensive when you don't take wine 
seriously. Chinese find black people offensive. Polish find communism 
offensive. Brazilians find classism offensive. Are we going around 
making all these slacktivist changes just because someone, somewhere 
might remotely feel offended by it?

Not only the original proposal comes from an absurd point of view and is 
just an excuse to say one is offended, but it also demonstrates just how 
entitled it is by ignoring that there are many others points of views 
and each one would be as valid to enact a plethora of other meaningless 
and pointless changes. Because let's not forget a very, very important 
aspect here: MASTER IS NOT INHERENTLY RELATED TO MASTER-SLAVE RELATIONS. 
It was pointed before but people keep willingly ignoring it: YOU JUST 
WANT TO BE OFFENDED. This is why I say "perpetually offended". You don't 
need to propose software changes likes this, you need therapy.