Subject: Re: Merge with git-pasky II.

From: David Woodhouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:14:11 +0100

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 17:33 +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> > But if it can be done cheaply enough at a later date even though we end
> > up repeating ourselves, and if it can be done _well_ enough that we
> > shouldn't have just asked the user in the first place, then yes, OK I
> > agree.
> 
> The repetition could be helped by using a cache.

Perhaps. Since neither such a cache nor even the commit comments are
strictly part of the git data, they probably shouldn't be included in
the sha1 hash of the commit object. However, I don't see a fundamental
reason why we couldn't store them in the same file but omit them from
the hash calculations. That also allows us to retrospectively edit
commit comments without completely changing the entire subsequent
history.

Or is that a little too heretical a suggestion?

-- 
dwmw2