Subject: wit - a git web interface

From: Christian Meder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:04:03 +0200

Hi,

I uploaded a first draft of wit to
http://www.absolutegiganten.org/wit

Right now it's a minimal web interface on top of git. Unpack it, make
sure you've got at least Python 2.3, optionally install c2html, adjust
config.py and start from the root with
$ PYTHONPATH=. python git/web/wit.py
Point your browser to http://localhost:8090

I append my random notes about this thing:

* wit was built with git 075930771b68528ae13630375df2fe634e9ac610 which
is 2-3 days old, it's untested with newer gits, it's functional for me

* philosophy: provide a git repository browser and show the basic types
of git under appropriate URIs like
/commit/head, /commit/<sha1>, /tree/head, /tree/<sha1>, /blob/<sha1>
and encode operations in URIs like /tree/<sha1>/tarball

* the html is probably invalid and looks like crap

* it's just sitting on top of git because that's the least moving part
of git right now (hah), no usage of git-pasky yet

* it's done with quixote 2.0 which is included

* don't use it on a kernel tree or you will experience slowness beyond
your wildest dreams

* it doesn't use revision.h or other lighning fast C goodies until the
dust settles down

* it'll probably eat your dog and falls apart when blowing at it

* I happen to think that it's a nice start

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Greetings,

				Christian

-- 
Christian Meder, email: [email-masked]

The Way-Seeking Mind of a tenzo is actualized 
by rolling up your sleeves.

                (Eihei Dogen Zenji)