Subject: Re: patches

From: Patrick Mauritz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:11:09 +0200

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 04:06, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> I would have appreciated if you said "Solaris portability patch"
> or somesuch on the subject line.
sorry, of course you're right..

the #ifndef __sun was done because getdomainname() doesn't exist on
solaris. (just for clarification)

> Curious.  Doesn't the order of -l and -L/-R matter these days?
hmm.. no idea why it worked for me, but a test case fails now: better
make that -L -R -l

> I am sympathetic to the reason why you need this, but if we go
> this route we should also do openssl as well.  I'd drop this
> part for now.
because on solaris there are lots of places where external libraries
could be found (/usr/local/lib, /opt/csw/lib, whereever people who
package themselves put them). ld.so.conf doesn't exist (same as on
*bsd), so using -L and -R is the standard way of linking external
libraries.

thanks,
patrick mauritz