Subject: GSoC intro

From: Florian Achleitner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:42:15 +0100

Hi fellow git developers!

I'm curious about applying for GSoC 2012 considering the idea "Remote helper 
for Subversion". 
I'm using git since years and have converted my svn repos to git years ago, 
but I'm not yet familiar with the pre-work on this topic. Is there a branch in 
git's git?
Does a "full-featured bi-directional git-remote-svn" mean, that it should work 
like any remote git repository where you can push to and fetch from?

Below I briefly introduce myself, for those who are interested.

About me
My name is Florian Achleitner (IRC: FlyingFlo). I'm 
from Austria and I study Telematics (a blend of computer science and 
electric engineering) at the Graz University of Technology. I'm currently in 
the first year of the master program. Before starting my studies I worked for 
four years as a developer of embedded systems in industry.

My programming experience grew since I started writing programs on TI 
calculators in school probably 15 years ago.
I'm open-source enthusiast, exclusively using Linux since years.
I currently work as teaching assistant for an exercise about programming 
operating systems. In this course we also teach the students to use git.

About me and GSoC
In summer 2010 I participated in GSoC for hugin writing a Makefile-creation 
library in C++, which is used to drive the panorama creation [1]. It was a 
great experience and a cool, successful summer job! ( and it was merged in 
hugin's master branch :-) )

Why git?
- I use git daily. It's always good to work on things you use and a chance to 
contribute something.
- I like C
- I used svn. Nowadays I only use it if i have to ;)
- The community interaction aspect of open source development is very 
interesting.. as the ideas page says ".. and get it merged into upstream Git."

[1] http://hugin.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/hugin/hugin/branches branch: 
gsoc2010_makefilelib (unfortunately the web fronted doesn't display a specific 
branch)

Regards,
Flo
-- 
Florian Achleitner, BSc

"In a world without walls and fences, 
who needs windows and gates?"  ;-)