Subject: Re: [PATCH] cg-pull to stop treating "master" specially, fix fetch_local for .git/HEAD

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:26:31 -0500

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 15:22 +0100, Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> On Friday 11 November 2005 05:53, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > I'm not sure if we understand each other, but "recorded" refers to
> > automatically determined branch name.  If cg-clone can determine the
> > branch name, that name should be saved and used for updates.
> > 
> > Whether the branch name is saved in .git/branches/ using hash notation
> > (old style) or in .git/remotes/ (new style) is irrelevant.
> 
> Yes.
> But for the conrete implementation it is relevant.
> 
> AFAIK, there is not really a "new" and "old" style, but more the
> git way (attributes for remote repositories in .git/remotes) and the
> Cogito way (attributes for a remote branch).

Switching to the "git way" is long overdue, since hashes can be used in
the actual path.

> "Recording" talks about storing the name of the remote branch that
> maps to the local "origin" branch, so I would vote for storing this
> in .git/branches/origin.

Yes, cg-clone should do its best to determine the branch name and to
save it for future use by cg-fetch.

> For cg-clone, this is no problem because cg-clone writes this file itself.
> Another thing is if you add later on a remote branch with cg-branch-add
> without specifying a concrete remote branch name. Do we want the
> record the branch name at the first cg-fetch for the future?

Good that you noticed that.

cg-fetch could do that, but maybe cg-branch-add would be an even better
place for that?  I mean, cg-branch-add could actually check the
repository and prompt the user which branch to use if there is no
obvious default.  I think, there should be a way to run cg-branch-add
without having it connect the repository or prompt the user, but the
default should be user-friendly.

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin