Subject: [QUESTION] What is a tag for?

From: Alex Bennee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:52:24 +0000

Hi,

So I want to track Linus's 2.6 git tree as well as do a little small
time hacking. I'm not brave enough to sit on the very bleeding edge and
build what ever happens to be at the "HEAD" of the tree. However when a
kernel releases I'd like to build *that* kernel.

I keep thinking of tags like labels in the old convetional SCM case. Is
this correct? I can see once I've done my update (fetch/cogito what
ever) that these tags apear in my local tree:

22:42 alex@malory [linux-2.6] >cat .git/refs/tags/v2.6.16-rc1
f3bcf72eb85aba88a7bd0a6116dd0b5418590dbe

So what do I do with them now? Are they only for branch points? Is the
only way to know I'm building 2.6.16-rc1 to branch from it as described
in git-branch, even if I'm not planning on doing any development?

Is this part of the concept that branches are cheap and you should feel
free to create and throw them away at will?

I look forward to your elucidation and the ah! moment that finally gets
my head around git ;-)

Cheers,

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
Zoe: "So.. Trap?" Mal: "Trap." Zoe: "We goin' in?" Mal: "Ain't nothin'
but a few hours out." Wash: "But, remember the part where it's a trap?"