Subject: Re: Errors GITtifying GCC and Binutils

From: Keith Packard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 07:45:51 -0800

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 22:09 -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > 
> > It _seems_ that the reason for that is that cvsps considers a revision 
> > number of 1.1.1.1 to have a "dot depth" of 0, for some really strange 
> > reason (it's a total special case).
> > 
> 
> Probably because in 99% of all cases, revision 1.1.1.1 is the result of 
> a "cvs import".

All odd branches are imports. Internal branches are even. So, 1.1.3.1
would be the first import along the second vendor branch from the trunk.

Note that vendor branches are always made from the first revision along
a branch, independent of when they occur, so you'll get 1.1.3.1 even if
the head revision along the trunk is 1.246.

-- 
[email-masked]