Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add git-clean command

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:32:29 -0400

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 11:17 +0200, Alex Riesen wrote:
> On 4/4/06, Martin Waitz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > What is the use case of cleaning up all untracked files without also
> > cleaning ignored files?
> 
> Thinks of git's .gitignore: it has config.mak in it. Are you sure you want
> "clean" your build customizations?

In may case, I normally want to remove copies of the sources.  For
example, I take foo.c, make a clean copy of it, then I change and test
it.  If if doesn't work and I want to try another approach, I copy it to
foo.c-bad or foo.c-approach1.  I also make diffs between files to see
what exactly I changed.  I may also create files for output, valgrind
logs and so on.

At some point, I'm satisfied with foo.c, so I commit it.  Then I want to
remove copies, diffs and other stuff.  Yet I don't want to rebuild
everything.

It's very rare that I add a new file, and I always remember to add it to
the version control.  But I'll consider adding an option to only remove
ignored files.

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin