Subject: Locking a branch

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 22:50:43 -0400

Hello!

I see there is an active discussion about branch attributes.  It would
be nice to have an attribute to prevent git from changing the branch
head in any way.  The reason is that it interferes with StGIT on StGIT
managed branches.  If StGIT is fine with the change, it would remove or
override the lock temporarily.  StGIT could also unlock the branch
permanently if there are no applied patches.

Another use of the branch lock would be to prevent damage to remote
branches, such as "origin".  Committing anything to "origin" would break
fetching.  In this case, git-fetch should be allowed to override the
lock after checking .git/remotes, but other git commands should respect
the lock.

It should be possible to break locks, but the users would at least think
before doing so.

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin