Subject: Re: synchronizing incremental git changes to cvs

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 12:29:22 -0400

Hello, Jim!

On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 15:40 +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 May 2006, Jim Meyering wrote:
> >
> >> Why am I interested?  I want to switch the development of GNU coreutils
> >> from cvs to git.

I believe you have a very good reason to talk to decision makers in FSF.
Savannah is very poorly maintained, and I actually took one of my
projects (Orinoco driver) to SourceForge Subversion.

If losing a Linux driver is next to nothing, losing GNU coreutils is a
big deal for the GNU development site.  You are likely to be heard if
you request git support.

>   I would also like to continue making the repository
> >> available via cvs, for the sake of continuity.  At worst, I can always
> >> cut the CVS cord, but that's a last resort.

Subversion is as easy as CVS for potential users, but it has a useful
"log" command if nothing else.  It also have real changesets, which
means no more guesswork when moving changes back and forth.

> > If you only want to make a cvs repository available for tracking the
> > project, git-cvsserver is what you want. It is even faster than the
> > original cvs...
> 
> That might work if I had sufficient access to the system hosting the
> public CVS repository.  But there are restrictions (like no ssh access).
> Currently I rsync the master repo to an intermediate site, from which
> it is periodically pulled by savannah.  Paranoia on both sides.
> 
> If I end up leaving savannah, can someone propose a good site,
> i.e., secure, yet with git and rsync access?

Sorry, I don't know any free git hosters, but here's what you can do:

1) Pressure Savannah to support git
2) Use arch on Savannah
3) Move to Subversion on SourceForge, GNA.org or Berlios and use git-svn

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin