Subject: Re: Added macro support to qgit

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:15:49 -0400

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 19:44 +0200, Marco Costalba wrote:

> Or just "commands"? in any case I agree "macro" was not a good choice.

For a menubar entry, something short is preferred, so "Commands" or
"Actions" would be better than "external commands".  Emacs calls it
"Tools".  But for a menu entry and the dialog title, "external commands"
would be better.

> The bug is qgit lets you write the first foo bar, before you press NEW
> button. It shouldn't. Also some buttons enable/disable policy could be
> good.

Definitely.

> > What happens to the arguments qgit is asking for if a multiline entry is
> > executed?  I understand they are prepended to the first line.  This is
> > not quite logical.  Wouldn't it be better to have a shell like notation
> > for them?

I meant appended, sorry.

> I thought of commands sequence as a quick way to run some simple
> commands as git pull, git push or similar without writing a bash
> script, i.e. no $1 for arguments. If you need something more complex
> the external script is supposed to be the proper way.

I think the checkbox controlling whether to ask for arguments allows
selection between "simple" and "complex" commands.

> Perhaps we could remove the external script single edit line and use
> only the multiline edit to let user insert commands or script.

I agree.

> > I see the macros are saved in the qgit configuration for the
> > user .qt/qgitrc, like this:

> Well, this file is really not meant to be view nor to be modified by
> hand, it is mainly a qgit 'private' thing stuff. Being qgit a GUI tool
> with a (nice ;-)  ) settings dialog, configuration file is mainly used
> for persistency, not for browsing/setup.

OK

> I hope to fix the external commands interface bugs this week-end.

I'm looking forward to testing it.

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin