Subject: Re: [PATCH] Makefile: set USE_PIC on Linux x86_64 for linking with Git.pm

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:03:00 -0400

Hi, Jakub!

I don't have the newsgroup access, so I'm copying to the mailing list
instead.

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 00:22 +0200, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> If I remember correctly everybody agreed that autoconf is least evil of the
> whole autotools package.

Sort of.  Some people were less dismissive than others.

>  pasky suggested to write ./configure script by
> hand on #git...

That's probably not a good idea.  Autoconf can do this very well if used
correctly.  And I'm ready to help when it comes to correctness.

> I'm trying to do inobtrusive _optional_ autoconf support in the patch series
> beginning with
>   Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/22832

The problem with optional support is that you suddenly have two
alternative mechanisms to adjust the build to the system, and both
should be kept in a  working condition.  But it's a good first step.

> Please wait for the patch moving ./autoconf output away from config.mak
> (as some people here requested), and do contribute! My autoconf/m4
> experience is nonexistent (I'm learning it as I go). See comments in the
> third [PATCH/RFC] in series.
> 
> BTW. patches are against master.

The link doesn't show the "@" characters correctly.  Maybe somebody
could establish a git repository?  Ideally, the autoconf changes should
go to one of the Git branches.

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin