Subject: Re: git on HP-UX

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:53:49 -0400

Hello!

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 09:50 +0200, Michal Rokos wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I needed following changes in order to make git compile on HP-UX:
> +ifeq ($(uname_S),HP-UX)
> +	NO_IPV6 = YesPlease
> +	NO_CURL = YesPlease

Is there any fundamental problem with curl and IPv6 on HP-UX?  I don't
think so.

Sorry for using your path as a bad example, but the appearance of such
patches is a perfect argument for a real configure script.  If we
continue patching Makefile, we'll drown in such conditionals.  And the
worst thing is, nobody without access to an HP-UX system will know why
IPv6 isn't working there.  Makefile will become a pile of code that
cannot be easily verified for correctness.

Autoconf based tests can actually test if certain code can be compiled
and linked.  If HP-UX fixed IPv6, the test would enable it.  If some
genius manages to compile curl on HP-UX, http support will be enabled on
that machine with no manual changes in Makefile.

I hope the Autoconf based configure is on its way to git, but I don't
see in in the "pu" branch yet.  I'm not very keen about reinventing
Autoconf and hacking a hand-made configure script.

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin