Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Move all builtin .c files into builtin/

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 02:41:19 -0400

Hello, Ryan!

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 00:54 -0400, Ryan Anderson wrote:
> Signed-off-by: Ryan Anderson <[email-masked]>

I agree that the top level directory is overcrowded, but wouldn't it be
better to move libgit.a sources to "lib" and then classify the remaining
files in some way (e.g. "git" or "src" for builtin commands, "commands"
for the rest)?  While at that, the "buildin-"  prefix could be stripped.

The main "git" executable is nothing but several builtin commands rolled
together.  It's not like a shell, which has functionality beyond the
builtin commands.  So "builtin" is git.

Or you can say that the git executable is a command line frontend to the
git library (it's moving in this direction anyway).  Then you can have
"client" and "server" directories.  That's more important for
understanding the source than "builtin", "standalone" or any
classification based on technical details.

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin