Subject: Re: [PATCH] Remove more gcc extension usage.

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 02:52:08 -0400

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 08:25 +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-10 02:22:03 -0400, Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > This means that the Sun compiler has almost all c99 features used by git
> > with just a little exception (initializers).  I think it's fair that we
> > fix this incompatibility.  It's very very minor compared to what "gcc
> > -std=c89 -pedantic" would have required.
>   ^^^^^^^^
> 
> You're kidding, aren't you?

In fact I can build git with this command:

make CFLAGS="-std=c89 -pedantic -Dinline=__inline -D_GNU_SOURCE"

if I fix all C++ comments.  It warns a lot about "flexible array
members" and other violations, but the resulting executable passes the
test.  That's Fedora Core 5 with gcc 4.1.1.

What I meant it that if we go all the way to strict c89 (even with a
modern libc) and fix all the warnings, it will be much more than what is
needed to support Sun's C compiler with its partial c99 support.

We can satisfy the Sun's compiler and yet retain flexible arrays and
other c99 goodies.

Maybe I'm missing your point (or you joke).

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin