Subject: Re: [PATCH] Avoid C++ comments, use C comments instead

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 01:17:27 -0400

Hello!

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 13:41 +0200, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> Supporting old, not-standard-anymore compilers has a cost in
> maintainability, by precluding the use of better constructs (//
> comments, declarations near initialisation, struct initializers...).
> Additionally, it gets harder and harder to have people test for them.

Sorry for one more addition to this thread.  I just want to clear some
misunderstanding.  The whole point of fixing the comments is to make is
easier to test for other compatibility issues using gcc.

For gcc to report post-c89 features, "-pedantic -std=c89" should be
supplied.  This option makes gcc report the c99 comments as errors and
other c99 features as warnings.  The errors would stand in the way of
finding the warnings.

I'm not saying all non-c89 constructs should be fixed, but if we get a
report that some feature is not working with some compiler, we could
compile git with "-pedantic -std=c89", find corresponding warnings and
fix them.  The comments would stand in the way for somebody using gcc.

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin