Subject: Re: VCS comparison table

From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:33:19 +1000

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 01:45 +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> 
> If you really, really think about it: it makes much more sense to
> record 
> your intention in the commit message. So, instead of recording for
> _every_ 
> _single_ file in folder1/ that it was moved to folder2/, it is better
> to 
> say that you moved folder1/ to folder2/ _because of some special
> reason_!

Just a small nit here: bzr does /not/ record the move of every file: it
records the rename of folder1 to folder2. One piece of data is all thats
recorded - no new manifest for the subdirectory is needed.

Of course, a user can choose to move all the contents of a folder and
not the folder itself - its up to the user.

By recording the folder rename rather than the contents rename, we get
merges of new files added to folder1 in other branches come into folder2
automatically, without needing to do arbitrarily deep history processing
to determine that.

This also does not prevent us doing history analysis as well, to
determine other interesting things - such as cross file 'blame' as has
been mentioned in this thread. 

-Rob
-- 
GPG key available at: <http://www.robertcollins.net/keys.txt>.