Subject: Re: VCS comparison table

From: Matthias Kestenholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:45:33 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 12:30 +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Sean wrote:
> 
> > On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 00:24:15 -0400
> > Aaron Bentley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 
> > > - - you can have working trees on local systems while having the
> > >   repository on a remote system.  This makes it easy to work on one
> > >   logical branch from multiple locations, without getting out of sync.
> > 
> > That is a very nice feature.  Git would be improved if it could
> > support that mode of operation as well.
> 
> It would also make things slow as hell. How do you deal with something 
> like annotate in such a setup?

You'd probably have to do all processing server-side (git log, blame,
merges... like in subversion, where you can merge and rename/move files
remotely, IIRC). Of course, all the things which make git really useful
for me (gitk, git log with all its arguments etc.) would not be
available. Cheap checkouts would be made possible easily that way at the
cost of higher server load and an abstraction layer over network for
object access.

I don't know if that sounds reasonable at all.

	Matthias