Subject: Re: VCS comparison table

From: Jeff Licquia <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:42:47 -0400

On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 00:25 +0200, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> I wonder if searching for one's own commits isn't the sign that
> the project is of one-main-developer size (i.e. small project,
> without large number of distributed contributors). I think in large 
> project you rather ask of history of specified file, of specified part 
> of project (specified directory), ask about why certain change was 
> introduced etc.

I don't think so.  Recently, I've been trying to track a particular
patch in the kernel.  It was done as a series of commits, and probably
would have been its own branch in bzr, but when I was trying to group
the commits together to analyze them as a group, the easiest way to do
that was by the original committer's name.

Now, there's probably a better way to hunt that stuff down, but in this
case hunting the user down worked for me.  (It may have made a
difference that I was using gitweb instead of a local clone.)

And the case of hunting down your own commits is just a degenerate case
of hunting down someone else's.