Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Don't require config file for "stg mail"

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:27:21 -0500

Hello, Catalin!

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 16:29 +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On 29/11/06, Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > When calculating the string to be used in the From: field, don't require
> > it to come from the configuration file.  Instead, reuse already known
> > authname and authemail values as the default.  They can be taken from
> > the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME and GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL environment variables.
> 
> Your patch uses the author of the patch which can be different from
> the person sending the e-mail. It could indeed use the author from GIT
> variables or configuration (not the patch author) and I already have a
> patch from Karl Hasselström for this (which I haven't found the time
> to check properly).

The funny thing it, GIT_AUTHOR_NAME and GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL are only used
in the code to determine the author of the patch.

Apparently, things are more twisted than I expected, so they need some
untangling first.

> Once I merge Karl's patch, I'll modify StGIT to use the GIT defaults
> if there is no sender configured.

Sounds good.

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin